Friday, April 1, 2011

Getting started: supplements and diet plan

So here it is. I'm gonna give this thing a try. I'm doing this for reasons of personal vanity, primarily. After losing 20 lb about two and a half years ago, I've been working out steadily, primarily lifting and some cardio, three times per week. I haven't seen any mass gains, and though I feel healthy and good, I've aspired to add weight for some time, and my current plan isn't accomplishing that goal. So I'm trying something new, and different. My goal is to add 10 lb per month of lean muscle for two months.

I'll be following the "Geek to Freak" prescription, and information from "Occam's Protocol I" and "Occam's Protocol II" in 4HB.

Yesterday I ordered supplements online. Here's what I picked up:
Cissus Quadrangularis - 2,400 mg, three times per day: to prevent excess fat gain while eating so many calories
Alpha-lipoic acid, 300 mg, 30 min before each whole-food meal: to increase muscular absorption of calories
L-glutamine, 10 gm every 2 hrs to total 80 gm per day for the first 5 days, then 10-30 gm post workout: to increase absorption of nutrients from whole foods
Creatine monohydrate, 20 gm a day for 7 days, then 3.5 gm in the morning and at night: to increase protein synthesis and force production when lifting

I have already done my creatine loading period, so I'll just continue that twice per day as he suggests.

Today I also ordered the one-handed tape measure Tim recommended. I'm planning to track total inches as well as weight to measure progress.

As far as diet goes, this will be a big shift for me. Tim recommends 20 calories per day for each 10 lb of lean body mass for 10 pounds more than your current body mass. Since I am estimating that I have 150 lb of lean body mass, that means my target caloric intake is 3,200 calories per day. Tim also recommends 1.25 gm of protein per day for each pound of lean bodyweight, so with the same base assumption, I'm targeting 187.5 gm of protein intake per day. Yeesh...

I estimate I'm currently eating between 2,000 and 2,200 calories per day, so I'll be eating 50% more calories than I'm used to. And 187.5 gm is WAY more protein than I'm currently eating. While I do plan to use protein supplements (primarily whey powder), I want to try to eat as much protein from whole foods as possible. I looked up some information on the amount of protein in whole foods:

3.5 oz chicken breast: 30 grams
3.5 oz fish: 30 grams
6 oz can of tuna: 40 grams
1 oz beef: 7 grams
1 slice bacon: 3 grams
1 egg: 6 grams
1 cup milk: 8 grams
1 cup yogurt: 8 - 12 grams
2 T peanut butter: 8 grams

Time to bust out Alton's beef jerky recipe again...

In order to get a better sense of where I am now in terms of caloric consumption and protein intake, I'm going to use the Muscle Gainer app on my iPhone. I'm not confident of my ability to track this accurately in my head, and I tend to lose physical dead-tree-based systems.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered almond butter over peanut butter? Sometimes the protein content is higher and almonds are generally "better" for you than peanuts. Don't ask me the science behind why, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I actually just picked some up the other day. Tim recommended it as a part of his very delicious-sounding breakfast shake recipe, which I think I'll try on Wednesday morning. :)

    ReplyDelete