Monday, April 4, 2011

Workout 2

My second workout was yesterday. The lifts were the slight decline chest press and the leg press.

With the chest press, I started with 70 lb of plate weights, and the machine's starting resistance is 8 lb. I worked my way up to a set at 130 lb of plate weights before I failed. This meant my starting weight for the single set to failure was 0.7 * (125 + 8) = 93.1 lb, less starting resistance of 8 lb. This worked out to 42.5 lb of plate weights on either side. I did a set at a 5/5 cadence, and only made it to six reps, so this was a challenging start. My seat setting was 5 on this machine, another isolateral Hammer.

For the leg press, the starting resistance wasn't labeled, but I guessed about 25 lb. It's a standard Icarian sled-style leg press, so if anyone knows a more accurate number than what I've got here, please let me know. I started somewhere in the range of 250 lbs of plate weights total and worked my way up to 390 lbs of plate weights before I failed at the f/2 cadence. This means my starting weight was 0.7 * (380 + 25) = 283.5, less the starting resistance of 25 lbs. This works out to 130 lb of plate weights on each side of the sled. I was able to complete 10 reps, which is the prescription on this lift. I think I need to carefully pay attention to range of motion on this lift going forward and make sure that I'm really lowering the weight as far as I should.

Tim recommends 3 minutes at 85 rpm or higher on a stationary bike following this workout to minimize soreness, so I did that. (Still a little sore this morning, but not bad.) I did the same two core exercises, and that was my workout. I was able to finish all 10 of the myotactic crunches, so I'll add a 2.5 lb dumbbell next time.

Also on rereading the book last night, I wasn't quite interpreting the set to failure correctly. I understand now that I should continue reps past seven, until failure. So that's the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment